|  
You are here : Township Info  >  History
History

The Formation of Schoolcraft Township


 

  • Kalamazoo County was originally part of Saint Joseph County, which had been established earlier in the 1820's. On November 5, 1829, St. Joseph County was divided and Brady Township was established in the area now known as Kalamazoo County.
  • On, July 30, 1830, the County of Kalamzoo was established. Brady Township was divided into a North and South Township. The North part of the county became Arcadia Township (later re-named Kalamazoo Township), and the South portion remained Brady Township.
  • The East half of Arcadia Township was established as Richland Township on June 29, 1832. The South half of Richland Township became Comstock Township on April 7, 1834.
  • The Southwest corner of Brady Township was set apart as Prairie Ronde Township on March 23,1836. Also, in 1836, the Northcentral part of Brady Township became Portage Township.
  • On March 11, 1837, the North half of Arcadia Township was established as Cooper Township. In April of 1837, the East half of Portage Township became Pavilion Township.
  • The year 1838 saw four more townships created. The west half of Cooper Township became Alamo Township. The East half of Comstock Township became Charelston Township. On April 2, the Northeast corner of Brady Township was established as Climax Township and the remaining Western portion of Brady Township became Texas Township.
  • Oshtemo Township, originally the West half of Arcadia Township, was created on March 22, 1839. On April 1, 1839, Ross Township was established out of the East half of Richland Township.
  • The Western portion of Brady Township was set up as Schoolcraft Township on February 16, 1842. On March 25, 1846, the East half of the remaining portion of Brady Township was established as Wakeshma Township, which completed the sixteen original Townships of Kalamazoo County.